Over the past week or so I have been having a tidy-up > clear-up > throw-out time of the umpteen cuttings etc. than I’ve collected over the years. However, I have kept quite a lot as well and you’ll have the chance to read some of the stories over the coming months both on this and my ‘talkinghistory’ blogs.
Do you remember school exams?
Simple questions always seemed to become impossible to answer as you sat, a lonely soul in a mass of equally lonely souls, as the clock ticked on to disaster.
In my tidy-up I found the following questions; without cheating by looking at the bottom of this post, please answer the following questions:-
- What is an animal with a backbone called?
- How can people conserve the environment?
- Give an example where the expansion of a solid causes problems, and say how it is overcome.
- Why can a bird sit on a high voltage cable without getting an electric shock?
- Name the Peace Treaty which settled the war in 1919.
- What does the sickle on the Russian flag stand for?
- State one change in boys at puberty.
- What is migration?
- Write down some way in which radioactive materials can be useful to human beings?
As well as the question and answer part of exams there were the pieces that required you to write in an informative or descriptive way. That’s when you could get really confused. These are a few bits of confusion that may bring a smile to your face – or may cause a ‘So….?’ response.
‘My first memory was when my nana used to carry me down the garden to look at the flowers. She would then sit me on a plate of egg and chips.’
‘The Pope could not marry Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon so Henry started the Protestant religion and married his self.’
‘As he grew older Wordsworth went out one evening because he felt the call of nature.’
‘Man is only a nackered ape.’
‘Margarine is better for you than butter because it spreads easily.’
‘There is no plague in Britain because we have a cure and rats are not popular and people are much cleaner and sterile.’
‘Exams do put enormous stains on you.
So, what were the answers to our nine questions?
1. What is an animal with a backbone called? [A vibrator.]
2. How can people conserve the environment? [Shoot trespassers.]
3. Give an example where the expansion of a solid causes problems, and say how it is overcome. [Your fingernails grow and need cutting.]
4. Why can a bird sit on a high voltage cable without getting an electric shock? [The bird’s feet are coated with rubber.]
5. Name the Peace Treaty which settled the war in 1919. [EEC]
6. What does the sickle on the Russian flag stand for? [Chopping people’s heads off.]
7. State one change in boys at puberty. [There vice deepens.]
8. What is migration? [It is a headache that birds get when they fly south for winter.]
9. Write down some way in which radioactive materials can be useful to human beings? [Atomic bombs.]